Mint Maker Studio and Brexit

independent business small business

So, first and foremost, Brexit sucks.  Let's get that out of the way first.  I hate it, it's the biggest waste of all of our time and energy and we're shooting ourselves in the collective foot by doing it.  However, it seems to be the hill our country is going to die on so I thought I'd best let everyone know what I have done to account for it in the next few months.

We're still not 100% sure what is going to happen (17 days to go as I write this, nothing to worry about, right?  RIGHT?) but, as far as I can tell, there shouldn't be too many adjustments to what I do. There are three scenarios, Deal staying in the Customs Union, Deal and we're out of the Customs Union or No Deal.

In the event of a deal where we remain in the Customs Union, nothing will really change.  I will still be shipping out as normal and there shouldn't be any delays in products getting the to EU.  This should also not have a knock on effect to items going elsewhere. So, in this scenario, we'll be good, probably not amazing but good I will take for now.

In the event that we have a deal where we don't remain in the Customs Union (with a deal or without) then we will likely see some issues but for me this just means an extra bit of paperwork and an extra label on your parcel within the EU.  I will still be processing orders in the same time scale. There may be some delays within the mail network (I send everything out by Royal Mail) as, in theory, items sent to the EU will become subject to customs checks which will likely cause delays. I will be keeping a very close eye on the Royal Mail International Incidents Bulletin which is updated daily with any delays. The other thing that will come into effect is that all items will be subject to customs charges. What customs charges will depend on the purchaser's country and they are the responsibility of the purchaser to pay these.


Customers in the UK, your parcels from me will be unaffected.  The rest of the economy, however, is anyone's guess.

As I've said before, I wish none of this were happening but here we are and it would be sensible of me to say that I have bought in plenty of stock to try and see me through the next 6 months or so.  I will still be processing orders in the same timescale unless they drop so dramatically that it makes sense for me to do one batch a week rather than two.

I hugely appreciate every single one of your orders and I hope that all of this uncertainty will not stop you buying from me as I strive to keep all this going no matter what.

Thank You!

Older Post Newer Post